building an extension module with autotools?

Michael George mdgeorge at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 3 16:12:54 EST 2008

Hello,

(Please CC me in replies, as I am off-list)

I'm building an application (a game) in python, with a single C module
containing some performance-critical code.  I'm trying to figure out the
best way to set it up to build.  Distutils seems to be designed only for
building and distributing code that lives in site-packages.  I'd prefer
not to install it in the global site-packages, but rather group all of
the files together.

I've tried using automake, however I'm worried about libtool not getting
the options right while building my module.  It seems to me like the
ideal frankenstein monster would be for automake to invoke distutils to
do the actual building.  However I'm relatively new to both autotools
and distutils, so getting this rigged up has been a bit of a challenge.
Can anybody point me to a good example of something like this or give me
any pointers?

Thanks!

--Mike