Is 3.0 worth breaking backward compatibility?

Sun Dec 7 18:44:00 EST 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:22:23 -0800, walterbyrd wrote:

> IMO: breaking backward compatibility is a big deal, and should only be
> done when it is seriously needed.
>
> Also, IMO, most of, if not all, of the changes being made in 3.0 are
> debatable, at best. I can not think of anything that is being changed
> that was really a "show stopper" anyway.
>
> At best, I am a casual python user, so it's likely that I am missing
> something.

To answer your subject line: "Is 3.0 worth breaking backward
compatibility?"

That depends on what you are doing with Python.

Python 3 is the future of Python. "Show stopper" or not, all the new
(mis)features in Python 3 are here to stay, and all the (mis)features in
Python 2 are on the way out. You can start moving to Python 3 now, or you
can do it later, but *eventually* you will have to move.

--
Steven