Mathematica 7 compares to other languages

jason-sage at creativetrax.com jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Wed Dec 3 13:30:56 EST 2008

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:

> So when you need an algorithm, you can often find it already inside,
> for example in the large Combinatorics package. So it has WAY more
> batteries included, compared to Python. I'd like to see something as
> complete as that Combinatorics package in Python.

Sage (http://www.sagemath.org/, based on Python) already has some pretty
powerful and comprehensive combinatorics functionality (including lots
of things that Mma doesn't have).  What's more, one of the most
comprehensive combinatorics libraries out there, MuPAD combinat, is
currently in the process of switching to Sage (and becoming the
Sage-combinat project).  See http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/.

If you are interested in graph theory, then you might be interested in
the comparison to the Combinatorica package at
http://wiki.sagemath.org/CombinatoricaCompare .  This page is a little
old, but it gives you an idea of how things compare.

Jason