Parsing Excel spreadsheets

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 30 13:46:14 EST 2008

Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> r wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 10:07 am, "andyh... at gmail.com" <andyh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anybody recommend an approach for loading and parsing Excel
>>> spreadsheets in Python. Any well known/recommended libraries for this?
>>>
>>> The only thing I found in a brief search
>>> washttp://www.lexicon.net/sjmachin/xlrd.htm,
>>> but I'd rather get some more input before going with something I don't
>>> know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy.
>>
>> xlrd(read only)
>> also see pyExcelerator
>
> which is now replaced by xlwt :-)

I've had very good results with xlrd, having used it to extract data
from spreadsheets for storage into a relational database. It's also
cross-platform, which means you don't need to run under Windows.

I don't know anything at all about xlwt.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119