New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sun Dec 21 14:28:55 EST 2008

walterbyrd a écrit :
> On Dec 20, 5:05 pm, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com>
>
>> He got really hung up on the % syntax.
>
> I guess it's good to know that there is, at least, one person in the
> world doesn't like the % formatting. As least the move was not
> entirely pointless.
>
> But, you must admit, of all the things people complain about with
> Python, the % formatting is probably one of the least common
> complaints. Complaints about Python's speed seem much more common.

<dead-horse-beaten-to-hell-and-back>
People complaining about the perceived issues wrt/ Python's speed are
welcome to fix it. As far as I'm concerned, I find the perfs more than
acceptable when you take Python's dynamism into account. Strange enough,
no one seems to complain about PHP or Ruby's performances...
</dead-horse-beaten-to-hell-and-back>

> Yet, 3.0 makes the speed worse,

first make it right, then make it fast...

> and "fixes" a non-problem.
>
> I can see where the new formatting might be helpful in some cases.
> But, I am not sure it's worth the cost.

Err... _Which_ cost exactly ?