slow Python 3.0 write performance?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Dec 5 15:41:50 EST 2008

Istvan Albert wrote:
> I see, thanks for the clarification.
>
> I will make the point though that this makes python 3.0 unsuited for
> anyone who has to process data. One could live with slowdowns of say
> 20-50 percent, to get the goodies that 3.0 offers, but when a process
> that takes 1 second suddenly starts to take 10, it is makes the
> situation untenable.

The speed issue slipped through the alpha and beta releases. Apparently
no user has tested Python 3.0 with large files so far. Some bugs just
can't be found by the developers.

I've fixed the read() slowness yesterday. You'll get the fix in the next
release of Python 3.0 in a couple of weeks.

Christian