Python is slow

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 10:17:00 EST 2008

On Dec 12, 6:58 am, bearophileH... at lycos.com wrote:
> sturlamolden:
>
> > On a recent benchmark Java 6 -server beats C compiled by GCC 4.2.3 And
> > most of that magic comes from an implementation of a dynamically typed
> > language (Smalltalk). [...]
> >http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all〈=all
>
> That is indeed a nice result, JavaVM has come a long way from the
> first one used for applets. That result comes mostly from the fact
> that this is a test on a 4-core CPU, that is less easy to manage from
> C. You can see that in the single 64-bit core tests:http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u64/benchmark.php?test=all〈=all

Whether or not it's less easy to manage from C is unclear, but you are
correct to point out few of those C programs have been updated to
exploit quadcore - so the reasonable comparison is with C++.

And the benchmarks game also provides x86 measurements with programs
forced onto a single core which shows GCC ahead

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all