"as" keyword woes

Warren DeLano warren at delsci.com
Sat Dec 6 23:19:08 EST 2008

> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:13:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: "as" keyword woes
> To: python-list at python.org
> (snip)
>
> If you write a PEP, I advise you to try to sound less whiny and than
> you have in this thread.
>
> (snip)

Ehem, well, such comments notwithstanding, I thank everyone who
responded to my latest post on this topic for taking my inquiry
seriously, and for providing cogent, focused, well-reasoned feedback
while not resorting to name-calling, to false accusations on top of
baseless assumptions, or to explicit personal attacks on my competence,
sincerity, experience, credibility, or form.

To you especially, I am grateful for your input for your years of
service to the community and to the noble ideals you embody in the
Python project.  May the rest of us (not just myself) be ashamed of our
lesser conduct and learn from you exemplary performance.

So to summarize, having assimilated all responses over the past several
days (python-list as well as python-dev, for the newcomers), I now
accept the following as self-evident:

-> "as", as a Python keyword, is a here to stay:  Love it or leave it.

-> Likewise ditto for the GIL: if you truly need Python concurrency
within a single process, then use a Python implementation other than
CPython.

Season's greetings to all!  Peace.

Cheers,
Warren