dBase III files and Visual Foxpro 6 files

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Mon Dec 8 02:53:23 EST 2008

Greetings All!

I nearly have support complete for dBase III dbf/dbt files -- just
wrapping up support for dates.  The null value has been a hindrance for
awhile but I nearly have that solved as well.

For any who know of a cool dbf module already in existence for dBase III
and Visual Foxpro -- where were you six months ago when I was searching?
  ;)  Seriously, though, this has been a great learning experience for me.

As I said -- dbf/dbt files are 99% ready.  idx files -- no support:  for
my purposes I just don't need them.  I've found no problem in loading
tables up to 300,000 records with 50 fields per record, and re-ordering
them on the fly in memory.

However, after putting much effort into this code, and wanting it to be
useful to others in the community, are there others who work with dbf
files that would need idx/cdx support?  Or tables so large they won't
fit comfortably into memory?

~ethan~