HELP!...Google SketchUp needs a Python API

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 06:37:48 EST 2008

On Dec 3, 10:06 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> "If we can laugh what else would we do"
>
> I'd like to touch also on some comments by ajaksu:
> [ajaksu]
> I'd like to try hacking some form of Python to work in SketchUp (on
> top of Ruby, that is). Now, why won't I try to? I'm a Linux user and
> we don't get a SU version. So much for FREEDOM. BTW, some things in
> SU
> have encrypted Ruby code behind them :)
> [/ajaksu]
>
> You CAN use SketchUp on Linux...ajaksu...thru Wine, but I know this is
> not good enough. I would love to see FULL SketchUp support for linux
> and I HAVE made my voice heard. I urge you brother to make make your
> voice heard also.
>
> Go to this thread and let your voice be heard:http://groups.google.com/group/sketchupsuggestions/browse_thread/thre...
>
> This is the reason...amoung many others...that Linux has yet to take
> any noticable market from MS. Linux could...If the Linux devolpers
> would ban together and unite to make package managment and portability
> between all *nix's universal, OR one great linux distro that the
> average dummy can use(ubuntu looks promising, but still has a long way
> to go)...compete with microsoft on a grand level. We have to steal the
> idiots from under microsoft's feet, and they will come crumbling down.
> But as long as a poor n00b installs his shiny new *nix system and
> can't even connect to the network to see the latest janet jackson
> "wardrobe malfunction", or fiqure out how to mount a flash drive,
> Linux will be nothing more than our beloved oddessy.
>
> There will NEVER be good support on linux for most applications,
> games, etc... Until people start to get behind linux and support it.
> Now you say, well i don't have time to support this, my life is too
> busy, my back hurts. I say stop making excuses. You DON'T have to
> invest your life, just simply make your voice heard.(myself and other
> dedicated people will tow the load). But at least get off your bum and
> do something.
>
> It's time to change the world, the hour is upon us, Microsoft is
> asleep at the wheel, the time for revolution is NOW!

Action speaks louder than words.

Not that I have done anything than talking lately though.

For Google to implement a huge feature like python scripting, they
would want to calculate its business feasibility (though Google is one
of the rare companies that is extremely lax on this side). Sketchup's
target users is not power users but those who need quick sketches, so
scripting isn't an extremely important feature in Sketchup. Moreover,
if they implement python scripting because someone wants it, other
languages would demand the same.

So, it does have to start from you creating a python-extension and
getting enough users to make Google think: "There are much more python
programmers than Ruby programmers in Sketchup, implementing python
scripting would be a sound decision."