dummy needs help with Python

MLDSpenser at aol.com MLDSpenser at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 21:24:41 EST 2008

I am trying to find somebody who can give me a simple python program I can
use to "program by analogy".  I just want to read two CSV files and match them
on several fields, manipulate some of the fields, and write a couple of output
files.

I come from 30 years of mainframe programming so I understand how computers
work at a bits/bytes /machine language/ source vs.executable/reading core dumps
level,  and I can program in a lot of languages most people using Python have
never even heard of, but I don't know any of the modern jargon; the Python
home site is full of statements that mean nothing to me.  I can't understand the
descriptions of most of the software in the Python Package Index.  I can't
even figure out most of the descriptions of the help available in the Python
community, so sending this e-mail may be highly inappropriate.  Please forgive me
if this is so, and take pity on a stranger in a strange land.

I have done some Python programming in a module supplied by the author of
software (Readerware) I bought; he takes care of all the file handling outside of
the module he lets you mess with; I just manipulated selected fields he had
defined.  It seems like a fantastic language but I need help.

My problem is that I want to do this all yesterday, and the Python text I
bought is not easy to understand.
I don't have time to work my way through the online Python tutorial. I've
tried a couple of forums but nobody has answered my questions.  A simple program
with comments that say "here's where I read File A and define/map/ the fields
in it" would let me learn by testing and trying things out, the same way I
learned to work with the fields in the module.

Peace on earth to all people of good will.

Margie Spenser
Pittsburgh, PA