Getting a locked buffer from objects (PEP 3118)

KKH knabberknusperhaus at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 25 08:56:10 EST 2008

Hi,

it seems the whole locking-theme has gone from PEP 3118 (PyBUF_LOCK is gone). Yet the string and byte objects seem to provide locked buffers through PyArg_Parse arguments s*, y* and z* (documentation says so).

Could someone please clarify the situation for me: Is it save to release the GIL after getting a reference to a buffer-object by the arguments above and only talking to this buffer while the GIL is gone?

And while we are at it :-) Is "PyArg_Parse('[syz]*'..." the only way to get a locked buffer-view from string/byte objects?

Regards
ebfe