(Very Newbie) Problems defining a variable

feba febaen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 07:58:36 EST 2008

Actually, I have gedit set to four spaces per tab. I have no reason
why it's showing up that large on copy/paste, but the file itself is
fine.

Thanks for the advice Chris, Stephen, I can definitely see how those
are both far better ways of doing it. I have it as:

#!/usr/bin/python
#Py3k, UTF-8

bank = int(input("How much money is in your account?\n>>"))
if bank <=0:
	print("You need a postive amount to gain interest.")
	quit()
target = int(input("How much money would you like to earn each year?
\n>>"))

interest = 0
i = 0

while interest < target:
#determine the interest rate to use
	if bank >= 100000:
		rate = 0.0173
	elif bank >= 50000:
		rate = 0.0149
	elif bank >= 25000:
		rate = 0.0124
	elif bank >= 10000:
		rate = 0.0085
	else:
		rate = 0.0060
	#Now that we know what interest rate to use, apply it...
	lastbank = bank            #To calculate interest...
	bank += (bank * rate)      #Update earnings...
	interest = bank - lastbank #And figure out how much interest is made!
	i += 1	#So we can see which year a calculation represents
	print("Year %s, at %s rate: %s paid, %s in bank." % (i, rate,
interest, bank))

now it checks to make sure the account is positive before moving on,
in addition to using your recommendations on readability and
efficiency in getting the rate