Whitespace in Python (3) [was: RELEASED Python 3.0 final]

Andreas Waldenburger geekmail at usenot.de
Fri Dec 5 11:40:26 EST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:46:02 -0800 (PST) bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:

> Andreas Waldenburger:
> > My point is: If you mix tabs and spaces in a way that breaks code,
> > you'll find out pretty easily, because your program will not work.
>
> - Most newbies don't know that.
> - Sometimes it may produce wrong results.
> - And even if you are an expert when you go changing a little a source
> code that mixes tabs and spaces you usually break the code.
> Is this enough for you?

No.

While you are right on all accounts, forcing uniformity would still
interfere with (some) people's coding styles, "wrong" as they might be.
Python is not Gnome.

Maybe having Python issue warnings for inconsistent whitespace per
default might be a good idea. But that's about as far as I would go.

/W

--
My real email address is constructed by swapping the domain with the
recipient (local part).