Python for amd64 and mingw-w64

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 03:56:42 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:30 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>  - Any extension requires the MS_WIN64 to be defined, but this symbol
>> is only defined for MS compiler (in PC/pyport.h).
>
> Why do you say that? It is only defined when _WIN64 is defined; this
> has nothing to do with a MS compiler.
>
>> Shouldn't it be
>> defined independantly of the compiler ?
>
> You mean, completely unconditional? Definitely not, it should only
> be defined when you are compiling for 64-bit mode.

I put a more detailed explanation of the problem with an example + a
patch on the bug tracker:

http://bugs.python.org/issue4709

This is the only problem on python side of things to make extensions
buildable on windows x64 (all the other problems I have encountered so
far to make numpy build with mingw-w64 are numpy's or mingw-w64).

David