New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Aaron Brady castironpi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:59:53 EST 2008

On Dec 19, 1:43 pm, excord80 <excor... at gmail.com> wrote:
snip cons of Python

> But, Python is Python.

It's always surprising to me to hear this, but especially so in
writing.

It speech, it has connotations.  A millionaire can say (dismissively),
"Two bucks is two bucks."  A poor person can say (wondrously), "Two
bucks is two bucks."  Without knowing the expository (the facts about
the speakers), you could glean some of the context from the tone and
pitch.  You could say, 'The speaker sounds wondrous', or 'The speaker
sounds dismissive.'  I take the repetition to mean, roughly, 'But
these is the speaker's overall evaluation of the subject.'

The stereotypical case is a girl or boy in a tough social situation;
and I don't know what countries they do this in, or even how
widespread it is in mine.  A friend says, "What s/he is doing is no
good."  You say, "But it's [person's name]."

Literally, that doesn't add any information to the debate, which is
stereotypically over a decision or resolution.  It does facilitate
expression (free expression is good), but I think it would have been
more productive, informative, fruitful, etc., to leave the last word
with the opposition; that is, when the friend says, "What s/he is
doing is no good."  Period.  The facts merit it, and it's merely
escapist to withdraw back to the big picture, since it is the small
details in the situation that need the concentration and attention.

Without context, in writing, 'Two bucks is two bucks' is exactly the
same as 'Two bucks is two bucks'.  Readers can't hear pitch, and do
not have context about fiscal status.  Excord, was your tone
dismissive, or wondrous?  Or a little whiny?  Or authoritative?  The
statement carried no more information than "A square is a square" or
"A bachelor is unmarried", and to readers, even lacked the expressive
value too.  (No .WAV file attached!)