Mathematica 7 compares to other languages

jason-sage at creativetrax.com jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Thu Dec 4 21:09:23 EST 2008

Xah Lee wrote:
> alright, here's my improved code, pasted near the bottom.
>
> let me say a few things about Jon's code.
>
> If we rate that piece of mathematica code on the level of: Beginner
> Mathematica programer, Intermediate, Advanced, where Beginner is
> someone who just learned tried to program Mathematica no more than 6
> months, then that piece of code is Beginner level.
>
> Here's some basic analysis and explanation.
>
> The program has these main functions:
>
> • RaySphere
> • Intersect
> • RayTrace
> • Create
> • Main
>
> The Main calls Create then feed it to RayTrace.
> Create calls itself recursively, and basically returns a long list of
> a repeating element, each of the element differ in their parameter.
>
> RayTrace calls Intersect 2 times. Intersect has 2 forms, one of them
> calls itself recursively. Both forms calls RaySphere once.
>
> So, the core loop is with the Intersect function and RaySphere. Some
> 99.99% of time are spent there.
>
> ------------------
>
> I didn't realize until after a hour, that if Jon simply give numerical
> arguments to Main and Create, the result timing by a factor of 0.3 of
> original. What a incredible sloppiness! and he intended this to show
> Mathematica speed with this code?
>
> The Main[] function calls Create. The create has 3 parameters: level,
> c, and r. The level is a integer for the recursive level of
> raytracing . The c is a vector for sphere center i presume. The r is
> radius of the sphere. His input has c and r as integers, and this in
> Mathematica means computation with exact arithmetics (and automatic
> kicks into infinite precision if necessary). Changing c and r to float
> immediately reduced the timing to 0.3 of original.
>
> ------------------
> now, back to the core loop.
>
> The RaySphere function contain codes that does symbolic computation by
> calling Im, which is the imaginary part of a complex number!! and if
> so, it returns the symbol Infinity! The possible result of Infinity is
> significant because it is used in Intersect to do a numerical
> comparison in a If statement. So, here in these deep loops,
> Mathematica's symbolic computation is used for numerical purposes!
>
> So, first optimization at the superficial code form level is to get
> rid of this symbolic computation.
>
> Instead of checking whethere his “disc = Sqrt[b^2 - v.v + r^2]” has
> imaginary part, one simply check whether the argument to sqrt is
> negative.
>
> after getting rid of the symbolic computation, i made the RaySphere
> function to be a Compiled function.
>
> I stopped my optimization at this step.
>
> The above are some _fundamental_ things any dummy who claims to code
> Mathematica for speed should know. Jon has written a time series
> Mathematica package that he's selling commercially. So, either he got
> [...]

For the interested, with MMA 6, on a Pentium 4 3.8Ghz:

The code that Jon posted:

Timing[Export["image-jon.pgm", Graphics at Raster@Main[2, 100, 4]]]
{80.565, "image-jon.pgm"}

The code that Xah posted:

Timing[Export["image-xah.pgm", Graphics at Raster@Main[2, 100, 4.]]]
{42.3186, "image-xah.pgm"}

So Xah's code is about twice as fast as Jon's code, on my computer.

The resulting files were identical (and both looked like pure white
images; I thought they'd be interesting!).

-J