Rich Comparisons Gotcha

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 16:51:23 EST 2008

Rhamphoryncus wrote:
> On Dec 8, 1:04 pm, Robert Kern <robert.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rhamphoryncus wrote:
>>> Right, but most of that's lower level.  By the time it reaches Python
>>> we only care about quiet NaNs.
>> No, signaling NaNs raise the exception that you are asking for. You're right
>> that if you get a Python float object that is a NaN, it is probably going to be
>> quiet, but signaling NaNs can affect Python in the way that you want.

>>> Ahh, interesting.  Still though, does it give an explanation for such
>>> behaviour, or use cases?  There must be some situation where blindly
>>> returning false is enough benefit to trump screwing up sorting.
>> Well, the standard was written in the days of Fortran. You didn't really have
>> generic sorting routines. You *could* implement whatever ordering you wanted
>> because you *had* to implement the ordering yourself. You didn't have to use a
>> limited boolean predicate.
>>
>> Basically, the boolean predicates have to return either True or False. Neither
>> one is really satisfactory, but that's the constraint you're under.
>
> "We've always done it that way" is NOT a use case!  Certainly, it's a
> factor, but it seems quite weak compared to the sort use case.

I didn't say it was. I was explaining that sorting was probably *not* a use case
for the boolean predicates at the time of writing of the standard. In fact, it
suggests implementing a Compare() function that returns "greater than", "less
than", "equal" or "unordered" in addition to the boolean predicates. That Python
eventually chose to use a generic boolean predicate as the basis of its sorting
routine many years after the IEEE-754 standard is another matter entirely.

In any case, the standard itself is quite short, and does not spend much time
justifying itself in any detail.

> I suppose what I'm hoping for is an small example program (one or a
> few functions) that needs the "always false" behaviour of NaN.

Steven D'Aprano gave one earlier in the thread. Additionally, (x!=x) is a simple
test for NaNs if an IsNaN(x) function is not available. Really, though, the
result falls out from the way that IEEE-754 constructed the logic of the
system. It is not defined that (NaN==NaN) should return False, per se. Rather,
all of the boolean predicates are defined in terms of that Compare(x,y)
function. If that function returns "unordered", then (x==y) is False. It doesn't
matter if one or both are NaNs; in either case, the result is "unordered".

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco