Python's popularity

Richard Riley rileyrgdev at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 13:42:55 EST 2008

Marco Mariani <marco at sferacarta.com> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> One does not have to by a language maestro to try and assess its
>> popularity. While his numbers or his reading of the numbers might be
>> open to some questions, to suggest that one needs to be totally familiar
>> with a language to determine its popularity is, frankly, ridiculous.
>
> I was not judging his competency. But when I am naive on a subject, I
> don't usually show off like that.

I do not see what is showing off about judging a languages
popularity. In many cases a languages popularity can be a useful metric
in picking a language to do a job.

> The polemic intents in his previous messages are quite clear (python
> is slow, py3k is an utter failure because it doesn't solve the
> whitespace issue, etc), and this thread is not different. It seems
> like a rehash of issues that have been dragged around here by
> generations of trolls for the last 10 years.

I find it difficult myself to accept certain criticisms of certain
things when I am close to them. This does not, however, make the
criticisms unfair or untrue or even unimportant.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970