Guido's new method definition idea

I V ivlenin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 15:56:40 EST 2008

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:34:56 -0800, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> `$` as a shortcut for self, on the other hand, gives absolutely no
> mnemonic indication what it stands for, and users would be simply left
> guessing.

However, $ is sometimes used as an alternative way of writing S̸ (I've
attempted to write here S followed by U+0338 COMBINING LONG SOLIDUS
OVERLAY, in order to produce an S with a stroke through it). This is the
symbol of the "barred subject" in Lacanian psychoanalysis, which is the
Lacanian symbol for the concept of the "self" (see
http://nosubject.com/Bar ).

So, if we want Python to the programming language of choice for Lacanian
psychoanalysts, perhaps we should adopt the symbol "$" (or even, with
Python 3's support for unicode identifiers, S followed by U+0388) instead
of "self."