Python's popularity

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Dec 22 13:50:45 EST 2008

walterbyrd a écrit :
> On Dec 22, 10:13 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since the
>> advent of Ruby(Python closet competitor), Python's hold on this niche
>> is slipping.
>
> About the only place I ever hear of ruby being used is web development
> with RoR. When it comes to web development, it seems to me that ruby
> (because of rails) is far more popular

s/popular/hyped/

But being (perhaps over ?) hyped too soon is not necessarily the best
move...

> than python. It seems to me
> that ruby is the niche player, and python (with fairly new frameworks)
> is trying to catch up to ruby in that niche. It seems to me that the
> python web framework that best competes with rails, is Django, and
> Django 1.0 just came out a few months back.

Fooled by version numbers ? Heck, Python 3.0 just came out a couple
weeks ago, and PHP is already at 6.x !-)

FWIW, I wrote my first django app years ago (and it's still in production).

>> A lot of Ruby noobies don't even realize that most of
>> Ruby is an out-right plagiarism of Python.

I don't know who asserted such a stupid thing, but he manages to be
equally clueless wrt/ both languages.

> Maybe. But the rails framework seems to have a different philosophy
> than the django, turbogears, or pylons, frameworks. RoR values
> convention over configuration, and has a lot of "magic" whereas the
> python frameworks seem to have the opposite philosophy - in those
> regards. I see pros and cons to both approaches. I wonder what the
> market with think?

My actual CTO is a big Ruby/Rails fan, yet he settled on Python/Django
for our current 'big' project. Wonder why ?