Bidirectional Networking

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Mon Dec 15 01:59:24 EST 2008

Brian Allen Vanderburg II wrote:
> As for the backlog (5), this
> doesn't mean that you can only have a maximum of 5 established
> connections.  Each established connection gets a new socket object.  But
> what I think it means is that during the listen for an incoming
> connection on the listening socket, if multiple connection attempts are
> coming in at one time it can keep a backlog of up to 5 of these
> connection attempts for that individual socket.

Right. An incoming connect adds a connection to the listen queue, and
the application's accept() call removes one connections from the queue.

The limited backlog is relevant to the OP's suggestion of calling
SocketServer.handle_request() periodically. The accept() that pulls
connections off the listen queue is within handle_request(), thus during
the period between these calls incoming connections will queue up and
could easily reach the limit.

--
--Bryan