Emacs vs. Eclipse vs. Vim

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Dec 1 08:46:06 EST 2008

In article <slrngj7l4o.i2n.nick at irishsea.home.craig-wood.com>,
 Nick Craig-Wood <nick at craig-wood.com> wrote:

>   * Syntax colouring (not essential)

I never used to use syntax coloring, until somebody turned me on to it a
couple of years ago.  I was griping on a company mailing list that some
previous code monkey had commented out a big swath (more than a screenfull)
of C++ code by sticking a "/*" at the beginning and a "*/" at the end.  I
had just wasted a bunch of time trying to debug a problem, not noticing
that the code I was looking at was commented out.  Somebody pointed out
that if I turned on syntax coloring, it would be obvious.  I've been hooked
ever since.