Which sparse matrix package?

mmanns at gmx.net mmanns at gmx.net
Thu Dec 18 20:24:37 EST 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:04:19 -0600
Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin Manns wrote:
>
> > Should I use another type of matrix in scipy.sparse? If yes which?
>
> If you have a benchmark, you might just want to try all of them.
> Should be just a matter of a small script. Block Sparse Row
> (bsr_matrix) might be the most appropriate in terms of data
> structure, but it appears that a bunch of stuff important for your
> use case is unimplemented.

This was my first impulse until I saw that the syntax and the actually
implemented methods vary considerably inside scipy.sparse (different
authors?).

Before I code around all of that, I would like to to see, which
functionality is really provided by which matrix class.

Do you know where to find an overview (some docs)? Currently, I stumble
upon unimplemented things in my unit tests and figure out what is going
on after reading the sparse code :-(

Martin