New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Dec 19 16:41:56 EST 2008

Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> writes:

> Personally the new string formatter is sorely needed in Python. And
> they way it has been implemented is a thing of beauty. Basically the
> burden of formatting strings has been moved from the print
> statement/function to the objects themselves.

This doesn't describe a difference between Python 2.x and Python 3.0.
The string formatting in Python 2.x is nothing to do with ‘print’,
it's implemented in the function that handles the ‘%’ operator for
strings.

--
 \       “If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it |
  `\     works, we've already failed.” —Peter Lee, Disney corporation, |