Multiple Versions of Python on Windows XP

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Dec 2 02:19:31 EST 2008

On approximately 12/1/2008 11:05 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Martin v. Löwis:
>> Is there some way to specify a default version in such a way that it can
>> be changed as necessary?
>>

> What do you mean by "default version"?
>
> There is the version that is associated with the .py/.pyc extensions
> at any point in time; you can change these by re-running the respective
> installers from add-and-remove-programs. In a well-managed installation,
> only one Python installation would have the "Register Extensions"
> feature selected; to then change the default, one would unselect the
> feature in one version, and reselect it in a different. If only the
> default installation procedure was ever used, re-running the installer
> in "Repair" mode (from ARP) will also restore the extension
> associations.

That seems a lot more cumbersome than just using the command line to
change the ftype and assoc a bit.  Here's how I set up my computer, for
multiple versions.  Now to change the "default", I just use the assoc
command to change the association for .py to one of the three listed
ftypes.  Simple and quick.

c:\>ftype Python25.File
ftype Python25.File
Python25.File="C:\Python25\python.exe" "%1" %*

c:\>ftype Python26.File
ftype Python26.File
Python26.File="C:\Python26\python.exe" "%1" %*

c:\>ftype Python30.File
ftype Python30.File
Python30.File="C:\Python30\python.exe" "%1" %*

c:\>assoc .py
assoc .py
.py=Python25.File

It would be nice if the ftypes were version specific as created by the
installer; IIRC, I created the above three from the ftype Python.File as
I installed each version.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/