Optimizing methods away or not?

Sun Dec 14 02:41:55 EST 2008

I have a class with a method meant to verify internal program logic (not
data supplied by the caller). Because it is time-consuming but optional,
I treat it as a complex assertion statement, and optimize it away if
__debug__ is false:

class Parrot:
    def __init__(self, *args):
        print "Initialising instance..."
        if __debug__:
            self.verify()  # check internal program state, not args
    if __debug__:
        def verify(self):
            print "Verifying..."

If I run Python normally, I can do this:

>>> p = Parrot()
Initialising instance...
Verifying...
>>> p.verify()
Verifying...

and if I run Python with the -O flag, I get this:

>>> p = Parrot()
Initialising instance...
>>> p.verify()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: Parrot instance has no attribute 'verify'

This is the behaviour I want, but I haven't seen it before in other code.
What do people think? Is it a good idea or a bad?

If you think it is a bad idea to have verify disappear under
optimization, would you change your mind if it were called __verify
instead?

One possible alternative is to do something like this:

class Parrot:
    def __init__(self, *args):
        print "Initialising instance..."
        if __debug__:
            self.verify()
    def verify(self):
        if __debug__:
            print "Verifying..."
            return None
        # this is optional
        else:
            warnings.warn("verify() is a null op")

which now means that Parrot instances will always have a verify method,
even if it does nothing. I'm not sure I like that. What do others think?
Which do you consider better design?

--
Steven