Python introspection and namespace weird question

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Mon Dec 1 16:37:42 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Rayene Ben Rayana
<rayene.benrayana at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Chris,
>
> Yeah it is kinda meta thing. My app allows to create a scene (a set of GUI
> objects). A scene can be saved as a python script. And, it can be loaded
> again using execfile().
>
> each GUI object has a label. So, in the script scene, declaring an object in
> a scene file should look like this:
>
> red_car = MyVehicleClass(label = 'red_car')
>
> But, I wanted to simplify the syntax of scene files and avoid repetition so
> it would look like
>
> red_car = MyVehicleClass()
>
> with the label attribute automatically set to the name of the corresponding
> variable.
> I tried your locals().iteritems tip and it works perfectly.
>
> The question now is: Given what I just explained, do you still think it is
> bad programming to do that ? Should I better use the first syntax ?

Assuming the object declarations are all at the module-level and you
have some rule for dealing with objects with multiple "names", using
the trick I outlined but with globals() instead of locals() seems
reasonable, albeit a bit of a hack, but since this is just a script,
that seems acceptable. IMHO, it's an OK trade-off in order to comply
with the DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) principle in this case.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Follow the path of the Iguana...