multiply each element of a list by a number

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Fri Dec 26 20:30:43 EST 2008

On Dec 26, 2008, at 19:05 , Robert.T.Lynch at seagate.com wrote:

> but this seems overkill to me.  Can you tell I am coming to Python
> from Matlab?

if you're coming from matlab, then you should think of python lists
more like cell arrays than matrices: you can have lists of arbitrary
data types, so multiply is not going to work in the matrix way.

check out http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais/bryant/numerical_computing/
python_matlab.pdf

but more importantly, you need to install numpy (which has the matrix
stuff) and scipy (which has the scientific packages).  What I do is
go to www.enthought.com and they have a single-download package
geared specifically for scientists.

					bb

--