[ANN]: circuits-1.0b1 released!

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Dec 30 19:15:50 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:00 AM, John Krukoff <jkrukoff at ltgc.com> wrote:
> I'm curious, you've a number of comparisons to Twisted on your site FAQ
> section, but this sounds like a much closer project to Kamaelia
> (http://www.kamaelia.org/Home). Are these actually similar or am I
> missing something important that differentiates circuits?

Glad you asked! Twisted and circuits aren't really
that similar - they have very different architectures/designs.
circuits is simpler :)

They are similar only in that they are both event/asynchronous
frameworks. circuits also has asynchronous/non-blocking
sockets (TCPServer, TCPClient, UDPServer and UDPClient)
as well as simple implementations of EchoServer, Telnet
and others. There are also implementations of the HTTP
and IRC protocols (all following the component design).

With respect to Kamaelia, I have read about this and looged
over their material briefly. I can only say one thing. circuits
and Kamaelia share nothing in common really. Kamaelia
claims to be of a Component design/architecture - but to
be frank it's overly complicated - and I'd hate to write
systems like that :)

cheers
James