Preventing execution of a method

Emanuele D'Arrigo manu3d at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 16:41:33 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 7:48 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers
<bdesth.quelquech... at free.quelquepart.fr> wrote:
> > or to provide read-only
> > access. I.e. right now I'm working on the graphical client which
> > potentially could be rewritten entirely by the users. It is necessary
> > and perfectly reasonable for the client module to access some of the
> > objects to be represented graphically, but those objects shouldn't be
> > modifiable by it.
>
> Why so ? At worst, they'll break everything.

-IF- the application was single-user yes, it wouldn't be a big deal.
But as it is potentially multi-user, I don't want one party to corrupt
the application for everybody else. Say I'm writing a multi-player
version of a card game (I'm not). For the sake of the argument let's
imagine that the players are all playing on the same computer, taking
turns. However, they are using a GUI written by one of the players who
unbeknown to them, has written it to modify the game state
appropriately and give himself the right cards at the right time. If
the game state is read-only and can only be queried but not modified
by the GUI, the player can rewrite the GUI but cannot cheat. Isn't
this a legitimate concern?

Manu