"as" keyword woes

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Dec 9 07:39:55 EST 2008

On 9 Des, 05:52, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:

> From my perspective, it was less the original complaint and more the
> sudden jump to "CPython is dead! The GIL sucks! Academic eggheads!"
> that prompted the comparisons to trolling.

To be fair to the complainant, before mentioning the GIL, he did
initially get the usual trite fragments of the Zen of Python right
back at him ("simple is better than complex", "special cases aren't
special enough to break the rules"), albeit not the whole thing in its
overused, unabridged form. I think I'd go on a rant if presented with
that rather than the accepted reason for the noted shortcomings of the
language: CPython's parsing technology isn't "sufficiently powerful
parser technology" as GvR himself says [1].

Paul

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-December/084023.html