Are Django/Turbogears too specific?

J Kenneth King james at agentultra.com
Sun Dec 21 22:40:53 EST 2008

Gilles Ganault <nospam at nospam.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I'd like to rewrite a Web 2.0 PHP application in Python with AJAX, and
> it seems like Django and Turbogears are the frameworks that have the
> most momentum.
>
> I'd like to use this opportunity to lower the load on servers, as the
> PHP application wasn't built to fit the number of users hammering the
> servers now.
>
> I'm concerned, though, that these frameworks they may be too specific
> to the tasks they were originally developped for (news articles,
> AFAIK). Do you think I should just use eg. CherryPy and some basic
> AJAX?
>
> Thank you for any feedback.

They're not "specific" in the sense that they only build certain types
of applications. However, they do package their own batteries and
expect applications to be designed a certain way. As long as you drink
the kool-aid, everything is smooth sailing. That's what any
"framework" banks on -- being useful to 85% of the web applications;
not all. Even if they advertise themselves as such, it's just not
true.

My suggestion is web.py -- It too has its own set of conventions and
philosophies, but in my experience it is the most loosely coupled in
terms of internal dependencies. Import exactly what you want to use
and deploy it the way that suits you. It gives you batteries but you
have to pick and choose how to put the pieces together. Therefore, it
takes a little longer to get running, but IMO that is the most
flexibility you can ask for without writing your own servers and
frameworks.

Cheers.