math.sqrt() in new 3.0 version : solution in input()

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sun Dec 28 00:22:05 EST 2008

David Lemper wrote:

>I cannot find a mention of this in "The Python Tutorial
>release 3.1"   The I&O section discusses output formatting
>and reading & writing text files.
>John pointed out its in Guido's "What's New in Python3.0"
>Indeed its mentioned in PEP 3111, near end of What's New
>and somewhat obscurely. " raw_input() was renamed to input().
>That is the new input() function function reads a line from
>sys.stdin . . ."

The issue, in my view, is that input() (and raw_input()) are almost
exclusively relegated to the domain of beginners and tutorials.  Real
programs almost never use them.  As a result, this change just isn't seen
to be all that important.

If you can figure out where this could have been written so that you would
have seen it, I'm sure a documentation change could be made.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.