How do I manually uninstall setuptools (installed by egg)?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Dec 10 07:45:43 EST 2008

excord80 at gmail.com wrote:

> On Dec 9, 10:04 pm, "Chris Rebert" <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
>> So, why do you think apt and not setuptools is The Right Way(tm)?
>
> I like to keep > 1 Python on my computer.
>
> 1. First, there's the system Python, which is installed by my OS and
> which I try not to mess with too much. I'm guessing Ubuntu uses this
> Python for various system jobs, preferences apps, etc. I try to only
> use apt with *this* Python.

Start using virtualenv. You need to install that single package, and you can
create as many python-instances (derived of your system's python of course)
that you like. And inside these, mess around with setuptools as much as you
like.

> 2. Then there's my *own* Python. Maybe installed in ``/opt/py-i.j.k,
> or---more likely---``~/opt/py-i.j.k``. *This* is the one where I've
> previously made regular use of setuptools and ``easy_install``. If I
> break this one somehow, it doesn't foul up my system Python in any
> way, and it's easy to scrap it and start anew if I like.
>
> So, I'd like to get my *system* Python back to its "fresh out of the
> Ubuntu showroom" condition and remove *that* setuptools.
>
> As an aside, I'm a bit struck by how long the setuptools/easy_install
> manuals are, and a bit dismayed at the lack of an easy_install
> uninstall command. Thinking of trying life for a while without
> setuptools/easy_install. Will have to see how far I get. :)

To *long* manuals? So far I haven't heard that complaint in the FOSS
world...

Diez

Diez