building an extension module with autotools?

Michael George mdgeorge at cs.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 3 17:04:21 EST 2008

Gerhard Häring wrote:
> Michael George wrote:
>> I've tried using automake,
>
> In my opinion, this is serious overkill. automake is good for making
> stuff work on a herd of different Unixen with various combinations of
> libc functions available etc. But for developing a Python extension,
> it doesn't help much at all. All you need to know about Python is
> available via macros if you import Python.h.

I'll definitely consider going the simpler route, although the other
thing that autotools provides is a standard interface for end-users.
For example I'm picky and don't let anything into /usr that isn't under
the purview of the package manager.  autotools makes life easy because I
can just do ./configure --prefix=/opt/pkgname and I know I'm good.
Custom build setups force me to figure them out before I can install
(and sometimes even use) the program.

Since I'll be eventually trying to attract users, I'd like to avoid
scaring them away with custom build scripts :)
> HTH
>
> -- Gerhard

Thanks for the advice.

--Mike