what's so difficult about namespace?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Dec 9 23:31:55 EST 2008

Xah Lee wrote:
[...]
> Steve Holden wrote:
>> And therein lies the danger of imagination.
>
>> Typically the namespace components are looked up one by one, so for
>>
>>    this.that.theother
>>
>> first "this" will be looked up and (hopefully) yield an object with a
>> namespace, which will then be searched for "that", yielding another
>> object with a namespace in which "theother" can be looked up. That's
>> certainly how it works in Python:
>
> yes, but Steve, what is your point?
>
> The question is, what is the technical difficulty, if any, of
> introducing namespace into a existing language.
>
> You pointed out that identifier lookup at least from the perspective
> of language user is somewhat like a tree walking processing. However,
> that does not answer the main question.

Yawn.

My point was you oversimplified the problem due to your ignorance of the
issues. You are a good writer when you stick to what you know and avoid
the rabid profanity. Unfortunately that doesn't happen often enough for
my taste.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119