Learning Python now coming from Perl

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Sat Dec 6 13:46:47 EST 2008

News123 wrote:

> What's more painful is to learn which functianilty is in which library
> and which library exists.

<cut>
Yes and one mistake I still often find myself doing is, when confronted
with a particular problem, that I write some helper code to deal with
it. Of course later on I discover that there is a standard module or
built-in that does exactly what I want and better. :-)

Somehow in the heat of the moment my mind is not thinking 'there must be
something out there which does what I want' but rather 'hmmm I think I
can do it this way, clicker-di-click'.

In my opinion it is a positive attribute to the language that it makes
solving problems so easy that you forget about searching for solutions.
Maybe python should prompt every 10 lines of code a message saying 'Are
you sure this can not be done with a built-in?' Most of the time it will
be right anyway :-)

--
mph