"as" keyword woes

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Dec 9 09:28:51 EST 2008

Paul Boddie wrote:
> On 9 Des, 14:24, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>> That is not what Guido said. What he actually said was:
>>
>> "That's possible with sufficiently powerful parser technology, but
>> that's not how the Python parser (and most parsers, in my experience)
>> treat reserved words."
>
> I accept that many parsers are operating on predetermined tokens where
> keywords will already have been identified as such, regardless of
> their eventual syntactic context, by the time the parser gets to see
> them. What I wanted to point out was that other approaches are not
> exactly unheard of or particularly rare. Every now and again, the
> language gets extended and new keywords are sought in an excruciating
> process akin to a group writing exercise involving the existing
> keywords. A better parsing framework would alleviate these problems.
>
> [Car analogy cut]

In some languages (I think Delphi is one of them - it's been a while!)
some words which would normally be identifiers have a special meaning in
certain contexts, but the syntax precludes any ambiguity, and not in a
difficult way. "as" in Python was one of those.

I certainly wouldn't want something like PL/I, where "IF", "THEN" and
"ELSE" could be identifiers, so you could have code like:

     IF IF = THEN THEN
         THEN = ELSE;
     ELSE
         ELSE = IF;