getting object instead of string from dir()

david wright david_v_wright at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 12:47:23 EST 2008

--- On Wed, 12/17/08, Rominsky <john.rominsky at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Rominsky <john.rominsky at gmail.com>
Subject: getting object instead of string from dir()
To: python-list at python.org
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 12:16 PM

I am trying to use dir to generate a list of methods, variables, etc.
I would like to be able to go through the list and seperate the
objects by type using the type() command, but the dir command returns
a list of strings.  When I ask for the type of an element, the answer
is always string.  How do I point at the variables themselves.  A
quick example is:

a = 5
b = 2.0
c = 'c'

lst = dir()

for el in lst:
    print type(el)

Right now I am understandably getting all types being output as
strings, how do i get the type of the actual objects returned from dir
()?