Jason Orendorff's path module

Alia Khouri alia_khouri at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 12 11:29:56 EDT 2008

andybak wrote:

> Which rather makes me wonder - lot's of people liked this module
> or rather disliked os.path. Is there anything salvageable from
> the BDFL's objections worthy of a PEP?

Funny you should bring this up today.. I was just thinking the same
thing (-: and I looked at the pep (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
pep-0355/) and the final (pep) version of the path module, which is at
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PathModule

If the primary issue that killed this pep was due to inheritance from
the str type, i.e. the fact that a lot of unnecessary string functions
would be inherited into an already functionally-fat path class, then
perhaps that problem had to be addressed first, as it would probably
crop up in other areas. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I presume ABCs
(abstract base classes) were intended to help in such cases?

AK