Good python equivalent to C goto

Matthew Fitzgibbons elessar at nienna.org
Mon Aug 18 12:57:58 EDT 2008

Paul McGuire wrote:
> On Aug 17, 1:09 pm, Matthew Fitzgibbons <eles... at nienna.org> wrote:
>> Kurien Mathew wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Any suggestions on a good python equivalent for the following C code:
>>> while (loopCondition)
>>> {
>>>     if (condition1)
>>>         goto next;
>>>     if (condition2)
>>>         goto next;
>>>     if (condition3)
>>>         goto next;
>>>     stmt1;
>>>     stmt2;
>>> next:
>>>     stmt3;
>>>     stmt4;
>>>  }
>>> Thanks
>>> Kurien
>>> --
>> I would not be too happy if I saw C code like that in my repository.
>> This is equivalent:
>>
>> while (loopCondition) {
>>      if (!(condition1 || condition2 || condition3)) {
>>          stmt1;
>>          stmt2;
>>      }
>>      stmt3;
>>      stmt4;
>>
>> }
>>
>> In Python:
>>
>> while (loopCondition):
>>      if not (condition1 or condition2 or condition3):
>>          stmt1
>>          stmt2
>>      stmt3
>>      stmt4
>>
>> If stmt3 and stmt4 are error cleanup code, I would use try/finally.
>>
>> while loopCondition:
>>      try:
>>          if condition1:
>>              raise Error1()
>>          if condition2:
>>              raise Error2()
>>          if condition3:
>>              raise Error3()
>>          stmt1
>>          stmt2
>>      finally:
>>          stmt3
>>          stmt4
>>
>> This will also bail out of the loop on and exception and the exception
>> will get to the next level. If you don't want that to happen, put an
>> appropriate except block before the finally.
>>
>> -Matt- Hide quoted text -

> Close, but there is no reason for the conditions to raise anything,
> they can just use the continue statement:
>
> i = 20
> while i > 0:
>     try:
>         if i % 2:
>             continue
>         if i % 3:
>             continue
>         print i, "is even and a multiple of 3"
>     finally:
>         i -= 1
>
> Prints:
> 18 is even and a multiple of 3
> 12 is even and a multiple of 3
> 6 is even and a multiple of 3

> [...]

I'm aware my example where I raised exceptions was functionally
different ("This will bail out of the loop on an exception and the
exception will get to the next level.") Just thinking in terms of
telling the caller something went wrong. The other examples were
functionally equivalent, however.

Still, this is the best way so far. :) I never thought of using continue
with finally. It gets added to my Python tricks file for future use.

-Matt