More like a shell command.

Miki miki.tebeka at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 11:47:22 EDT 2008

Hello,

> Is there anyway I can extend python to accept a command
> which looks more like shell syntax than a function call.
>
> I want to be able to do this:
>
>     if blah :
>         MyCommand  Arg1  Arg2
>
> as opposed to this:
>
>     if blah :
>         MyCommand(Arg1,Arg2)
>
> or this:
>
>     if blah :
>         x("MyCommand  Arg1  Arg2")
>
> Of source, I would like to do this by writing a module (or through
> some other run-time hook) as opposed to editing the Python source
> code.
You might want to have a look at ipython, they do something like that
but for the command interpreter and not the compiler.

The other option will be to write a compiler from your syntax to valid
Python syntax. However this my not be simple since you need to know
the context. e.g. is f("a b c") calling f in the string "a b c" or
f(a, b, c)?

HTH,
--
Miki <miki.tebeka at gmail.com>