os.system question

Tue Aug 12 18:48:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:42:28 -0700, norseman wrote:

> Can we take a moment and look at what is happening here?
>
> Python developers are creating an unwanted item!
>
> Let's take a good look:
>
> 1) import os                                                          9
> 2) name=os.popen('whoami').read()                                    30
>
> 3) from subprocess import Popen, PIPE                                34
> 4) me = Popen('whoami', stdout=PIPE, shell=True).stdout.read()       59
> I still prefer assembly. It's all right there, right up front. No
> compiler anomalies (accidental or intentional) to deal with.

Please tell me more, I am very interested in this assembly of which you
speak. How would you write a program in assembly that does the same as
the above code, and will run on any major platform? I would love to see
the code. I expect it will be much shorter and more intuitive than the
Python code you dislike, leading to fewer errors and less padding of the
programmer's pockets at the expense of their employers.

--
Steven