Hide raw_input text?

Support Desk support.desk.ipg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 15:44:28 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: tmallen [mailto:thomasmallen at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:26 PM
To: python-list at python.org
Subject: Hide raw_input text?

I'm working on a little FTP project to get comfortable with ftplib.
It's all terminal-based right now, and one issue I'm having is hiding
password input text. I'd like one of two things to happen with this:
Either don't show any characters while I'm typing (like $ su), or
better, a '*' for every character. Is there a way to do this? I'm
planning on building this into a GUI tool using Tkinter or wxPython,
so methods using a secret input for those might be helpful as well ( I
could jump straight into the GUI part).

Thanks!