Question regarding the standard library?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Aug 19 08:16:23 EDT 2008

Hussein B wrote:

> Is the standard library of Python is compiled (you know, the pyc
> thing)?
> Is it allowed to edit the source code of the standard library?
> I'm not talking about submitting the modified code to Python source
> code repository, I'm just asking if some one can edit the source code
> in his own machine.

Python ships with the library sources, and you can of course edit them
in exactly the same way as you'll edit any other Python file.  modules
in the standard library are no different from your own modules in that
respect.

whether it's a good idea to edit them (unless you're trying to track
down bugs or provide patches to the maintainers) is a different issue.

</F>