rspec for python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 02:26:26 EDT 2008

 Gerhard Haring wrote:

> Have you actually used this "rspec" thing in Ruby? I always wonder with
> such things.
>
> Same with all the other hyped technologies of yesteryear. Anybody out
> there who really uses model-driven development?
>  -- Gerhard

Two laws are (the) most fundamental in our field.

1. The Church-Turing thesis says that all computable systems (aka prog
languages and their spinoffs) are equivalent

2. Wittgenstein's "The limits of my language are the limits of my world"
says that significant differences in computing power are (ultimately)
differences in language.

Hence what a language can (and cannot) do are always of deep interest.

Specifically: whether rpsec works -- I dont know -- Ive not used it.
There are attempts in the python world: specipy and pyspec but they dont
seem mature yet.

I am also interested in what Joh says

> Compare Rake and Scons - the Ruby and Python embedded DSL build systems
> that are
> intended to replace Make, Ant and similar external build DSLs. You can
> see the difference in fluency.

What is the difference? And how much is due to the relatively greater
maturity of rake and how much due to the intrinsic differences of python and
ruby? Anyhow which due you prefer?