Limits of Metaprogramming

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Mon Aug 4 12:13:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Wilson wrote:

> " Every sufficiently large application has a poor/incomplete
> implementation of LISP embedded within it ".

Yep, this is either exact or very close copy of what I have read.

> I've looked at LISP
> before and do appreciate its elegance, but Python has a beauty of its
> own in its pragmatism, standard libraries and community.  So I'll
> choose to stick with it.
[...]
> I've been through quite a few of the SICP lectures and again, do
> appreciate its elegance and they have changed the way I program.
[...]
> Thanks for your comments. But I believe my solution may lie in using a
> template language such as cheetah. Too much is already invested in
> Python!
>
> Best Regards,
> Paul

Ok, so you do know something about Lisp - that is good :-). Of course,
since you have already existing Python code, converting is not for you.
Just to make sure you stay informed, there is CLPython:

http://common-lisp.net/project/clpython/

I did not try this thing, but I am very pleased it exists. I have some
Python code myself and knowing there is a way to reuse it if I choose some
other way makes me feel better. Or rather, knowing I can easily merge the
two (or more) ways.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola