wxPython beginners problem

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:03:12 EDT 2008

On Aug 15, 11:31 am, Ivan Reborin <irebo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to python, new as newbies get, so please, don't take wrongly
> if this seems like a stupid or overly simple question.
>
> I'm going through examples in a book I have ("Beginning python", by
> Hetland Marcus) and I just started doing wxPython examples.
>
> But every sample I try, for example:
>
> import wx
> app = wx.App()
> win = wx.Frame(None, title="Simple editor")
> loadButton = wx.Button(win, label='Open')
> saveButton = wx.Button(win, label='Save')
> win.Show
> app.MainLoop()
>
> closes too fast. After running in python IDLE just the line
> === restart ===
> shows up.
>
> How can I keep the window to "stay alive" so I see what I get ?
> I'm on a winxp platform using python 2.5.2. if that matters.
>
> Please, any help, constructive advice and ideas are very much
> appreciated.
>
> Best regards
> Ivan Reborin

See what Brian said about your issue. As for whether or not this
toolkit is for you, that's a subjective question. Try them both and
see which one suits you. I like wx better, but I needed its widgets
for what I was doing and Tkinter didn't seem to have what I needed at
the time.

Anyway, wxPython has an excellent user's group, where you can learn
lots and the group is nice to new people too!

http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

Mike