Can't use DB name with dashes using pymssql ???

Samuel Morhaim samuel.morhaim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:40:00 EDT 2008

And.. confirmed.. it has to be a bug in Python _mssql.

#sample.py
import _mssql

dbhost = 'gmed-4-int'
dbuser = 'myuser'
dbpasswd = 'mypassword'
dbbase = 'Gcare4UI-B6_3_dev'
con = _mssql.connect(dbhost, dbuser, dbpasswd)
con.select_db(dbbase)

Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'Gcare4UI'

=======

I have confirmed the db Gcare4UI-B6_3_dev does exist.  I also tried
connecting to one of the other DB in the same server that do not contain a
DASH in the name and the connection was successful.

How can I fix this? Do I report this as a bug?  Can somebody point me in the
right direction?

Thank you.